Prepared to Lose Your Glasses? 10 tips for choosing a LASIK or Laser Vision CorrectionThe world of ophthalmology is among the fastest developing fields of medicine. Never prior to have a lot of clinical breakthroughs and new strategies emerged in such a short period of time. LASIK surgery, which uses an excimer laser to reshape the cornea, provides millions of people the chance to lower or eliminate their requirement for contacts or glasses .
Television and radio advertisements are filled with fantastic stories about LASIK surgical treatment as the painless and fast way to correct vision, but stories are also appearing about people for whom it was less than effective. Before you opt to go under the beam, exactly what can you do to assist ensure that you will more than happy with your results?
The key to safe surgical treatment in any field of medication is an informed client. Take a little time and research study the LASIK center you are thinking about for laser eye surgery. Dr. Robert K. Maloney, voted by his peers as one of America's Top Ten vision correction surgeons in a nationwide study by Ophthalmology Times, uses the following standards to quality care and treatment.
1. Find a doctor by getting recommendations from other medical professionals or from clients who have had LASIK or laser vision correction.
Don't be deceived by elegant advertisements about a particular laser. Choose the medical professional, not the laser.
3. Pick a medical professional who has actually done a minimum of 5,000 LASIK or eye laser surgeries. What a medical professional doesn't understand can hurt you.
Ask for details on your physician's LASIK eye surgical treatment complication rates. If your doctor won't tell you, find another one.
5. Ask exactly what steps are taken to avoid infection. Try to find a center with a sterile or dust-free operating room. Make certain that non reusable parts are not reused. Firmly insist that your eye is completely sanitized, and insist that the surgical instruments be disinfected before your eye laser surgery to get rid of the danger of transmission of HIV or hepatitis.
6. Be careful of ads pressing "low expense" LASIK surgery. Discount surgical treatment is as excellent as a discount rate parachute. The prospective cost savings are unworthy the risk of getting less than skilled care!
Expect to see extremely content well after LASIK, but don't expect to see perfectly. As with any eye laser surgery, results are as individual as each client. Beware of any physician who promises 20/20 vision.
8. If you feel like you're getting a hard sell, you probably are. Go elsewhere. You're not purchasing a car; this is genuine LASIK eye surgery.
9. If your level of nearsightedness is more than -11 or two, implantable lenses will most likely offer better vision than LASIK. Consider waiting up until the brand-new lenses are readily available. Ask your doctor about them and other current advances.
10. While you investigate, do not forget the advantages: for most people, a life time of bad vision can be treated in 5 minutes. LASIK eye surgery has actually improved the vision of millions of individuals around the globe.